The converting, maintenance, and operation of a Suzuki Samurai conversion to Electric power.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Clutch and flywheel

I got the transmission out (really big for such a little car!)

The flywheel is at the machine shop. They will lighten it and get it balanced. I'm hoping the new clutch won't slip. If I had the car in high gear going up a hill, the smell was overpowering.

The heavy flywheel does store energy. Unfortunately, you have to put the energy in to store it. If I pushed in the clutch at a stop, the car would lurch when I started up as the flywheel was still spinning. All that inertia makes it harder to up shift as the motor doesn't slow down much when you take your foot off the gas. I'm hoping the lighter weight will help. The flywheel weighs 12 1/2 pounds. Be interesting to see how much comes off.

Gonna go paint some previously unpaintable areas now that the tranny is out.



March 27, 2007

The electric car is running. Went 17 miles today and it still had
30% left. I think I will replace the clutch and get the flywheel
lightened. Today I added hold downs for the rear battery boxes. I
think the batteries back there were bouncing when I went over a bump.


No comments: